Sunday, June 21, 2009

Anti-Racist

It's usually so clear. What is right and wrong. What you do and don't do. Right now, it's not so clear. My neighbor, yes, he is Mexican. Hanging out at the pool with his children. I know he is a good father. I see him coming home from work at 6 AM. I see how his kids look at him and how they will grow up to be amazing people. How this man is the epicenter of so many lives. How the failure sister comes to stay over at 3am on so many occasions. How all his friends and all of their children depend on him for support. To recognize an amazing man is a seldom occurrence. He is my neighbor. We say hello from time to time. I wonder how he can have children and live here. But today I get it. I pictured myself exactly within his life. What an amazing life it is really. His children are safe. We have our petty bullshit but it's far from any necessity. He is a man. I really respect him although it is so far from my ideal situation. Providing a life for so many. I get angry because it intrudes on my pretty picture but I am happy to have my picture altered. At least for him. Because he is one of the good ones. The one who deserves it. And I recognize that. I wish I wouldn't be tainted by the ones who don't because he is the one who suffers.

No comments: